Sunday, May 21
Peace and Rest
2 Chronicles 14-16
- Describe and discuss a time when you ended up somewhere and weren’t sure how you got there. How did it feel? Why did it happen?
- What’s the difference between the church in America today and 100 years ago? The community? The family? (Be sure not to spend too much time on styles and trends but more time on function and roles.)
- What makes people restless, anxious, and weary? What are common (nonspiritual) ways people attempt to cure themselves of these issues? How do we know if these cures are working?
- Describe someone who seemed to have peace, calm, and rest while enduring a horrific season of life. Where did they find it? What’s the difference between what gave them rest and the answers to question three?
- What did King Asa face in Chapter 16? What was God going to give him? How did he end up there?
- What words described King Asa’s life in 14:1-7? What did he do, or not do, to get those things?
- What promise was made to Asa in 15:1-2? What did he do to lose this promise?
- Discuss why Christians often find themselves unable to find peace, rest, and calm even though Jesus promises it in Matthew 11:28-30. Why do Christians seek peace, rest, and calm in the same places as non-Christians?
- Read 2 Chronicles 15:1-2 What steps will you take to seek God this week? Discuss practical steps to accomplish this goal.
- If people saw peace, rest, and calm in your life, what impact would it have for the Gospel?
Sunday, May 14
The Good Samaritan
- Review the story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). Why did Jesus tell this parable?
- What is significant about the Priest and Levite? Why was it a shock for them not to stop and help?
- The Priest and the Levite clearly saw the man lying on the side of the road. (Luke 10:31-32) Using your imagination, what reasons do you think they would have given for not stopping?
- Describe the difference between what the Priest and the Levite saw versus what the Samaritan saw. How do we know the Samaritan saw something different than the other two men?
- Discuss the difference between feeling bad for someone and biblical compassion. How do we know the Samaritan showed biblical compassion?
- What is foster care? What circumstances cause kids to end up there?
- What is the ultimate goal of foster care?
- How is foster care a picture of the Gospel?
- Not everyone is called to foster. Discuss the different roles someone can play in the foster care system.
- What can your group do to help meet the needs in the foster care system?