Sunday, May 29
“Unseen!” Part 2
- What different things do we do in order to get people to like us / think highly of us? Why do we want people to approve of us?
- What types of things do people have in their life they hope no one finds out about? How do they hide these things from others?
- Why is Jesus concerned with giving in secrecy?
- Why does He say to pray in private?
- What is fasting and why does Jesus say no one should know we’re doing it?
- How do all three of these topics relate to our private character? How might we be tempted to emphasize the public side of these disciplines while ignoring the private side?
- What does the Lord’s Prayer teach us about praying? How does the focus of this prayer differ from the focus of our normal prayers?
- How do the topics of our prayers reveal our character / motives / etc.?
- Why does Jesus bring up the topic of forgiveness while discussing our private character? What’s the connection?
- If someone doesn’t like who they are, what does Jesus offer? How does this work?
Sunday, May 22
“Unseen!” Part 1
- What is the first question that comes to mind when you hear of another leader falling?
- How would you hope someone would describe your character? Why did you choose these characteristics?
- What reasons do people often lack this type of character?
- What does Jesus warn about in verse one? What is it about this topic that leads Him to issue the warning?
- Compare and contrast the reward we get from others for our goodness versus the reward God wants us to have.
- Give a few examples of ‘humble brags.’ Why do people do this? What do they hope to obtain?
- How does Jesus say in verse three to avoid hypocrisy in our giving? What are different ways this can be accomplished?
- What does the last sentence of verse four mean when Jesus says “the Father who sees in secret will reward you in secret?” What’s appealing about God’s rewards?
- What advice would you give someone who wants to take steps to ordering their private world? What pitfalls should they avoid? What boundaries should they put in their lives?