One Year Bible Reading Plan – Day 5
In preparation for Sunday’s worship, read Hebrews 3.
Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the assembly of Israel and spread out his hands toward heaven, and said, “O Lord, God of Israel, there is no God like you, in heaven above or on earth beneath, keeping covenant and showing steadfast love to your servants who walk before you with all their heart; you have kept with your servant David my father what you declared to him. You spoke with your mouth, and with your hand have fulfilled it this day.”
Read all of 1 Kings 8:1-9:9
- The scene was the dedication of the temple. It was a joyous and solemn time. How is worship in the New Testament and in our personal lives different from 1 Kings?
- Why do we not have animal sacrifices today?
- What was God’s warning to Solomon in 1 Kings 9:6-9? What can we learn from that warning?
Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, who keeps faith forever; who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry.
Read all of Psalm 146
- Does this passage challenge what you believe in any way?
- What is the good news in this passage that you can share with someone else?
- How might this passage affect the way you pray today?