The Devotional Method
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable” 2 Timothy 3:16
In his Bible Study Methods, Pastor Rick Warren provides twelve different methods to help you actively engage Scripture. Though all of them are useful, the Devotional Method is a good place to start. It begins with selecting a short passage and prayerfully reflecting on it "until the Holy Spirit shows you a way to apply the truth to your life. Then write out the personal application… You cannot study the Bible without writing something down." The four steps are:
- Pray for insight on how to apply the passage (before you begin reading).
- Read and prayerfully reflect on the verse(s). Some helpful options are:
- Visualize the scene in your mind; reread the passage emphasizing different words; paraphrase the passage in your own words; personalize the passage by putting your name in it.
- Write out an application that is personal, practical, possible and provable.
- Memorize a key verse from your study.
Practice this method in the space below by going further into 2 Timothy 3:10-16.
* Check when done
Paraphrase the passage; find a command to obey & a promise to claim.
What should change in your life in response to this passage?
What truth do you need to store in your heart?
Two Year Chronological Reading Plan- Today's Readings: